Re: [Chicken-users] Bizarre chicken build/segfault problem

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bizarre chicken build/segfault problem
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:37:01 +0200

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 08:15:22AM +0200, felix winkelmann wrote:
> Hi, Peter!
>
> lookup-table.c is one source file of the lookup-table egg. The .c files
> are installed together with a compiled extension.
>
> The reason for the crash seems to be egg-dependency issues.
> I could reproduce a crash that looks quite like your crash:
> misc-extn defines a special unsafe define-record-type variant,
> but it is not installed early enough to be available, and is treated
> like a procedure call.

Weird

> The problem is indirect egg-dependencies. One also runs into
> various problems when doing a "chicken-setup srfi-19" on a clean
> system, for example. This needs a lot of eggs and since chicken-setup
> doesn't handle indirect dependencies, they are installed in the wrong
> order, or not at all.
>
> To fix your problem, install eggs one after the other., at least
> silex, miscmacros, misc-extn (since they provide syntax).

Reinstalling these eggs in this particular order, then SRFI-29 and then
SRFI-19 fixes the problem.  Thanks a lot!

> I'm totally aware that chicken-setup has to handle this, but for the time
> being, all egg authors, please note the following:
>
> LIST ALL (that is: "A-L-L") DIRECTLY AND _INDIRECTLY_ USED EXTENSIONS
> IN YOUR *.META FILES!!!

This is Really Bad News.  I'm having another error (this time a bus error)
and figuring out where in the egg dependency chain this is caused will be
one hell of a job.

Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx