[Chicken-users] Re: [CMake] setting a default build type

From: David Cole
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: [CMake] setting a default build type
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:52:39 -0400

Given a very basic HelloWorld application in Visual Studio, there is only one way that I have found to force it to choose something other than "Debug" by default: eliminate the "Debug" configuration.

In the very basic case (generated by Visual Studio wizard) there are only two configurations: Debug and Release. I've re-arranged the bits related to configuration in both the generated sln file and the vcproj file, to no avail. When there is no .suo file and Debug is one of the configurations, Visual Studio chooses it by default. Period. (As far as I can tell...)

I have used the following:
SET(CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES "MinSizeRel")
to restrict the configurations to 1 and only 1. This works nicely for automated builds when you set the only config type you care about from a script...

You could do the same, but then you lose the flexibility of just switching to Debug in the VS IDE...

HTH,
David

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

Brad King wrote:

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
Brad King wrote:
This would be a nice feature but I don't know how to implement it.  Try
generating a project and then manually editing the project files in such
a way that the IDE selects a different configuration by default.  Don't
forget to remove the .suo and .ncb files between attempts because they
store the user IDE state.
That approach is not desired.  People typically want CMakeList.txt under
source control, not its end products, as the latter differ for every
person.  We don't ship .sln files to people, we tell them to install CMake.

I was not proposing this as a solution, I was asking you to figure out
how to implement it.  I have no idea how to write a .sln or .vcproj file
that will convince the VS IDE to come up with a non-Debug configuration
by default.  I just tried manually reordering the configurations to put
Release first and the IDE still selected Debug at startup.  Even
changing the Release configuration to have the name ARelease (which
comes before Debug lexicographically) didn't fix it.

I have no idea either, nor time to investigate it at present. I will note our lack of knowledge in the feature request. Maybe we'll run into someone else who knows better.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every