Re: [Chicken-users] -DC_INSTALL_LIB_HOME and -DC_INSTALL_HOME

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] -DC_INSTALL_LIB_HOME and -DC_INSTALL_HOME
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:24:36 -0700

Hans Bulfone wrote:
the problem are missing quotes around C_INSTALL_LIB_HOME and C_INSTALL_HOME.
the quotes that are there are taken by the shell but additional ones are
needed by the c compiler:

address@hidden:~/test$ gcc test.c -o test.o -c -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing
-Wall -Wno-unused -Wno-uninitialized -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -DC_STACK_GROWS_DOWNWARD=1
-DC_INSTALL_LIB_HOME="\"/usr/local/lib/chicken/1\""
-DC_INSTALL_HOME="\"/usr/local/share/chicken\"" -DC_USE_C_DEFAULTS -DC_NO_PIC_NO_DLL

i don't know if this bug has already been fixed in the current darcs version
(as there has been some discussion about quotes on the list lately),
i just wanted to report it in case it isn't.

In Darcs, none of these variables are passed by -D flags anymore. As you have demonstrated, passing stuff through shells is fragile. Nowadays, everything is passed canonically through chicken-defaults.h as a C string, and consumed as such. This makes the builds on all the platforms a lot easier. Both ./configure and CMake builds use this new mechanism. Thanks to Felix for doing that bit of cleanup. I knew it was needed and was moving the design towards that solution, but I didn't quite know how to implement it yet.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every