Re: [Chicken-users] CMake tarballs

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake tarballs
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 03:48:58 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 7/29/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
Since CMake is capable of generating its own tarballs, I'd like to put
one up on the Chicken webpage.  It is important for people to start
trying the build. I believe it is now either beta quality or close to it.

Come the next release of Chicken, it doesn't make much sense to
distribute the CMake stuff together with the ./configure stuff.  They
each do the tarball in a different way, and I'm not going to try to make
them do it the same way.  So that means that during a long transition
period, we'd have 2 different tarball distributions, until people become
confident in the CMake build.

Sorry, but why do we need two different kinds of binary distributions?

This seems to be confusing the issue. I thought the parlance was, a Chicken tarball is not a binary, it is a source tree with .c files that does not require Chicken in order to build it. The CMake build has this capability now. However, it generates a different tarball than ./configure does. It doesn't put .c files in the same places; this is necessary to support CMake's two-stage bootstrapping and out-of-directory build capabilities.

Windows VC++ is the only platform on the Chicken homepage that has a binary. I suppose some other binaries are lurking about in the form of Linux distros. Don't know if anyone has taken on the Cygwin distro. MinGW is a valid binary target, quite apart from VC++. Whether distributed as binary or a source tarball, currently only CMake can build it. Building the VC++ binary with CMake would also be wise if it works, as it would allow us to get rid of the makefile.vc build.

I thought it would be sensible to distribute different tarballs since they have different capabilities.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every