[Chicken-users] Chicken crashes when updating eggs

From: Peter Bex
Subject: [Chicken-users] Chicken crashes when updating eggs
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:54:13 +0200

Hi all,

When I update an egg that creates a dynamically linked object (.so), any
running chicken instance that already loaded the egg instantly segfaults at
the moment it tries to use a function from that egg.  This is very
inconvenient when running long-lived processes like Spiffy.

After having a look at the dlopen manpage, it appears that dlopen loads the
entire library into memory at once.  This would mean it shouldn't cause
any problems when you overwrite or delete the .so file.  I have seen other
programs continue running when deleting their shared libraries, too (though
I am not sure if they used dlopen).

I'm not very familiar with dlopen, so I can't tell if this can be fixed.
Any ideas?

Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx