Re: [Chicken-users] incorrect csc.scm.in assumptions?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] incorrect csc.scm.in assumptions?
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 23:34:08 +0200

On 6/3/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
I notice that csc.scm.in has things like %CHICKEN_HOME% in it that are
supposed to be substituted.  Makefile.am performs these substitutions.
Do I understand correctly that %SOMETHING% syntax is just there for
sed's benefit in Makefile.am, and does not represent some kind of
special Chicken syntax to pull values out of the environment or some
such?

Yes, it's only there for sed.

If so, then when those substitutions are not performed, as in the
case of the current CMake build, the values left in there are spurious.

They are not used when running on win32 (excluding cygwin, which should
do the right/unixish thing).

It also strikes me as wholly incorrect to assume that the CHICKEN_HOME
at build time is going to be the same as CHICKEN_HOME
post-installation.  I'm not in the habit of overwriting my old Chicken
installation directories.  Sometimes I just keep the old build in an old
directory, change CHICKEN_HOME to point at a new one, and then off we
go.  Especially since I'm verifying bootstraps from old Chickens and
building for 3 different platforms on Windows.

Hm... You're right. But CHICKEN_HOME is usually not used at build-time,
only when you're bootstrapping.

(felix)