Re: [Chicken-users] ${DISTFILES}

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ${DISTFILES}
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:08:06 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 3/28/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

 How will this relate to CMake builds, strategically speaking?  I don't like
the idea of toughing it out on CMake if your own work eclipses it.  I would
note that although a scheme-based build system has inherent advantages,
CMake is a proven cross-platform tool with an external support team.  CMake
will in time be useful for getting Chicken onto new platforms.

I don't deny that, but currently cmake isn't up to it (at least not the current
release).
CMake 2.2 lacks some important features.  CMake 2.3, the development version under CVS, has solved all of my build problems so far.  The main limitation is learning how to convert all that autoconf crap to CMake, and to refactor the bootstrap.  Right now I only have so much available time.  CMake is up to it; the problem is the learning curve.  I just think at the end of it all, CMake will be easier to learn, maintain, and more robust than Autoconf.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every