[Chicken-users] Advantages of CHICKEN over Gambit-C

From: Matthew David Parker
Subject: [Chicken-users] Advantages of CHICKEN over Gambit-C
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:17:09 -0500 (EST)

Hello, I am wondering if someone could briefly list some of the advantages
of CHICKEN over Gambit.  So far I see that the CHICKEN compiler is much
easier to work with, and I think performance might be more consistant, and
CHICKEN has a bunch of eggs.  All of the optional scheme functions in
CHICKEN seem much better, with more intuitive names, like "random" and
"randomize" and "system".
Gambit has the immediately obvious advantages of the numeric tower and a
nice interpreter with edit-line abilities (like "read-line"), all under
LGPL, but it's much harder to work with the compiler and extensions, and I
was wondering if "under the hood" it's not as good as chicken.  I made my
own easy SDL interface for both CHICKEN and Gambit and ran the same little
game on both, and it seems choppy on gambit, and smooth and consistant on
Chicken.

Thank you,
Matt