[Chicken-users] Re: Win32 maintenance

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: Win32 maintenance
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:35:14 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:

I'm somewhat reluctant to delegate jobs like this, as it's not on me to
select someone, but from what I've heard so far, Brandon would be
willing to test all CMake-related things (MSVC 2003, VCToolkit and mingw32).
CMake also targets Cygwin, BTW.  And Borland.

Sergey: Is it ok for you to do the tests for the other platforms? That would
mean cygwin, mingw32 + normal makefiles. And, would you perhaps
be willing to take a look at Watcom?
I think we are operating from different premises here. My premise is, the CMake build currently works and is fully functional. Although, come to think of it, maybe chicken-setup is still missing, I don't recall offhand. Felix, your premise seems to be that CMake doesn't work, and that therefore, 2 people are needed to do 2 different jobs. My view is that only 1 person is needed to do 1 job, with CMake.

This is leaving aside Watcom. I think Bob can do the primary support for Watcom. I'm willing to work with him on getting CMake to support Watcom, if he's interested in that.

I was hoping Sergey might have a higher capacity and interest in Windows patching and debugging than I do. These are beyond my capabilities at present. I'm still too green at Chicken. Spent the last 3 months getting MinGW to build reliably with CMake....

Windows binaries: I think it really makes sense to provide them for
each major release (not snapshots). The binaries should go to call/cc.org,
I can provide the FTP username and password.
It may become trivial to provide snapshot binaries once I've automated my build system. I'm not there yet though.

And finally: I need someone to bug with stupid questions, like "hey,
could you try running this code", or "chicken-setup fails mysteriously here".
Is that ok with you?
That's what I was hoping Sergey wanted to do.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                         - anonymous entrepreneur