Re: [Chicken-users] Questions on changing Chicken runtime and some other

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Questions on changing Chicken runtime and some other stuff
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 07:28:20 +0100

On 12/20/05, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sergey Khorev scripsit:
>
> > The idea was to use Chicken as an embedded interpreter but don't have
> > two GC's in one process.
>
> One has to distinguish between the initial garbage collector, which moves
> nongarbage from the (garbage) stack to the heap, and garbage collections
> within the heap.  The first is part of the Chicken way of doing business;
> the second could probably be replaced by a different GCed heap, or even
> a conservative GC such as Boehm-Demers-Weiser.

Yes, that would be exactly the way. All the stack-managing machinery
makes still sense in such an environment. What would have to be modified
is the write-barrier (C_mutate) and copying live stack data into the
secondary heap (which in this case would be managed differently).
Where I see problems, though are data-representation issues...