Re: [Chicken-users] i18n for Scheme programs?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] i18n for Scheme programs?
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:03:11 +0200

On 10/6/05, Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any frameworks to provide i18n for Scheme
> programs?
>
> I'm basically concerned with Chicken programs.  I'm looking for
> something similar to GNU gettext, that will make it possible for my
> Scheme programs to print their strings in multiple languages (without
> having to keep separate branches for each language, obviously).
>
> Perhaps a simple GNU gettext wrapper egg can do the work?  Hmm.  Any
> thoughts?

Doing this on the C-level (I don't know much about gettext, so this must
be taken with a grain of salt) is probably not the right way, there are
many strings that you probably don't want to translate, like symbol
print-names.

The only internationalization system I have used is the one in Qt and
something similar shouldn't be too hard. For example, a macro
(or some read-syntax) could expand into a table-lookup.
Alternatively, one could extend the compiler to transform string-literals
directly.