Re: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:29:32 -0700

Thomas Chust wrote:

of the suggested system I have only tried ant so far and I instantly disliked it: It didn't run out of the box, although it is a Java program, it is a rather big package which makes it a heavy dependency and in my opinion it is very clumsy to handle, partly because of the xml format of the build control files.

Of course that's only my personal opinion -- some Java programmers I know do like it. Apparently it integrates very nicely with Eclipse.

I looked into Ant and CC Task mainly because I'll soon be doing an Alias Maya project with Eclipse. In the process I sorta forgot that these concerns are mostly irrelevant to Chicken. I mean, just because I'll be using Eclipse and Schemeway doesn't mean other people will be. Well I suppose if Ant was simple to use, and it worked, then nobody would complain. But I've been leery of it myself because it doesn't sound simple to use. Rather, it's politically correct if you're going to be working with the Eclipse developers. They'll pay attention to it, and likely won't be interested in SCons or CMake.

For Chicken, I think CMake is the way to go.

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
   (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)
           '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))