Re: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools

From: Ashley Bone
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] alternate build tools
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:11:21 -0500

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

How do you feel about either a Python or a Java dependency? I've been looking into the problem of targeting multiple C/C++ compilers on multiple platforms. 2 tools look like they may be "industrial strength" solutions to the problem:

scons, a Python script based build system
http://www.scons.org/

Ant with the ant-contrib cc Task
http://ant.apache.org/
http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/
http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/cc.html (list of supported compilers)

Thought I'd add my experiences to this idea.

I've been using scons for 2 or 3 years now to build software on IRIX, linux, and windows. It's a very nice tool once you get familiar with its idiosyncracies. The build scripts are nearly 100% portable - typically you just need a few lines listing any platform specific libraries to link with and any non-standard compiler flags, such as optimizations.

scons also has some sort of built-in autoconf-like facility (called sconsf, I believe). I've never used it and am not sure what its features are, though. I believe there is also some kind of stand-alone version that you can package with distributable files if you don't
want to force users to download and install scons separately.

Currently I use scons to build all my scheme libraries and programs using chicken on both linux and win32 (with msvc). I have a simple chicken scanner, and builders for chicken libraries, programs, and embedded programs, along with some utility functions
such as a function to parse the output from chicken-config.

I don't have any experience with ant, but if there's interest in going the scons route,
I'd be happy to lend a hand.

ashley
**