Re: [Chicken-users] (new) gtk+ egg using swig

From: Alejandro Forero Cuervo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] (new) gtk+ egg using swig
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:28:18 -0500

> Currently there is no way to tell this to SWIG, AFAIK. What you can
> do is to provide your own gtk-main, that calls the real one:
>
> %insert(chicken) %{
> (define gtk-main
>   (foreign-safe-lambda* void ()
>     "gtk_main();") )
> %}

Heh, good thinking. :)

We have updated the eggs and added more information to the wiki.  The
eggs published were created against gtk+ 2.6.9 (for different gtk+
releases one would probably want to go through the whole process of
regenerating the eggs from the swig interface files).

We're currently trying to rewrite the gtk-demo program in Scheme and
have it work.  This is a slow process only because we need to convert
from C to Scheme: actually extending the eggs to make things work
takes very little time.  So far we've got menus.scm and button-box.scm
working, which you could find at:

  http://anonymous:@svn.afc.no-ip.info/svn/home/src/chicken-eggs/gtk/samples/

Once we get the entire gtk-demo program working, we will probably try
to figure out how to integrate gtk+'s garbage collector with chicken's
(which doesn't seem too dificult, but I haven't really thought about
it).

Anybody interested on this could greatly help by converting C files
from gtk-demo (in gtk+ 2.6.9) to Scheme (and then we'll do the easy
part of making sure they do work). :)

Thanks.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/

---=(  Comunidad de Usuarios de Software Libre en Colombia  )=---
---=(  http://bachue.com/colibri )=--=( address@hidden  )=---