[Chicken-users] Re: Constructing parameter lists in C: can I use FFI?

From: Ash
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: Constructing parameter lists in C: can I use FFI?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:19:59 -0500

>>   What do you think about getting rid of the entry-point API, storing
>> the continuation somewhere it can explicitly retrieved (if you want to
>> exec some more top-level code), and letting callbacks always "just work"
>> (after the initial setup).
>>   This seems to me much simpler, etc.  The current entry-point API calls
>> could easily be translated to callbacks, if anyone needs them.
>>

> This is in fact a good solution. The entry-point API is pretty clunky, and
> this
> method is both more lightweight and more convenient. Have to test it
> more, though.

This thread is incredibly timely for me.  I've been looking at Chicken for
a couple of weeks as a replacement for bigloo.  Our situation is similar -
we have around twenty mixed scheme/C++ libraries, most of which provide an
interface for C++ programs to call scheme procedures.  Being new to
Chicken, I had naively thought that define-external and friends could be
used to create the entry-points.  I was starting to make some progress in
understanding why they didn't work the way I expected when this thread
came along and really cleared it up for me.

Anyway, nothing really to add except to say there's at least one more
person out here who's interested in a new and improved entry-point API.
Thanks for all the hard work on Chicken.  I'm really enjoying getting to
know it.

thanks,

ashley