Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 COM with Chicken?

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 COM with Chicken?
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:28:39 -0400

On 5/5/05, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 5/4/05, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > (Sorry for adding noise to the list.)
>
> No need to be sorry at all. Actually, I'd love to help as much as I can
> with this project. If you can wait for a few days, I can provide a small
> utility library for COM things (BSTRs, GUIDs, registry access, etc.).
> BTW, couldn't BSTRs be allocated in the Scheme heap, using (for example)
> u16vectors? That would remove the need for doing all the SysAlloc/SysFree
> stuff.

Fantastic! Thanks for the offer of help. I knew that allocating BSTRs,
etc., on the Scheme heap would be the way to go, but hadn't dug into
Chicken far enough to figure out how. Your timing is perfect; I have a
very limited but functional COM-client module now (enough to launch
Excel or IE and do some basic fiddling) but, among other issues, it
leaks memory like a sieve! Whenever you get a chance to send the
utility library, it would be most welcome. (I'm sure I'll learn a lot
just from reading the code.)

Regards,

-- Graham