Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken and Gambit

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken and Gambit
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:04:58 +0100

Hi!

> Thank you very much for these comforting words.
> Another, perhaps related question: how about the overhead for function
> calls that C has? Is there a way around that, maybe compile to code that
> uses goto and weird stuff like that?
> (I'm afraid I'm coming of as even more ignorant that I really am, but
> I'm curious.)

The overhead of a function call is just a few instructions. You can see for
yourself when you compile a .c file with an empty function using gcc -S -c to
a .S (assembly) file.

Usually you gain much more by optimising at a higher level, i.e. by using a
more efficient algorithm.

BTW, we have all been at the same level of, what you call, ``ignorance'' at
some time. And have probably been asking the same questions. :-)

Groetjes,
Peter.