Re: [Chicken-users] unbound variable: foreign-code

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] unbound variable: foreign-code
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:16:53 +0100

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:46:07 +0000, Tony Garnock-Jones
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Felix.
>
> felix winkelmann wrote:
> > Because there seems to be a problem with SDL_Init on Mac OS X,
> > the call has to be done explicitly.
> > (BTW, Tony: couldn't that be handled more gracefully? Perhaps
> > a separate sdl_init.so library for those systems that allow it.)
>
> The current release of the SDL egg has (sdl-init) defined for all
> platforms, with a comment in the source code warning about the MacOS X
> problem. (I've just added a paragraph to the README too, so that'll be
> in the next release.)
>
> I guess it could be improved by only compiling in sdl-init on non-MacOS
> X platforms; is there an easy way of doing platform-specific conditional
> compilation with Chicken? (I suppose if not I could do a platform test
> at runtime.)

Actually I would put all tests into the .setup script (there is an undocumented
`test-compile' function in chicken-setup.scm, which might come handy)
and invoke the makefile (or use the make macro right inside the .setup script)
with the proper `-feature' options. That way one could also build an sdl
extension with support for all those extra libraries that are installed
(like SDL_image, SDL_net, etc.).