Re: [Chicken-users] question about garbage collector

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] question about garbage collector
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:21:57 +0100

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:15:42 +0000, John Lenz <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes.  I recreate the pointer object because it might have moved somewhere else
> during garbage collection?  Or does the garbage collector see the pointer
> inside
> the symbol table to the C_intern symbol, and never actually look at either
> the C_intern
> or the C_mpointer variables?  In that case, I could just do C_set_block_item
> to set the
> pointer a second time (although it doesn't really matter).
>
> struct swig_module_info {
>   //other stuff
>   swig_module_info *next;
> };
> are stored in a circularly linked list.

The symbol tables you create explicitly are traced by the GC, but any
symbols in there which are not allocated in the normal heap will be
ignored (so you can freely mutate them, as long as you don't use
C_mutate() (which registers the assigned-to object) and as long as
the assigned object isn't gc'able itself).