Re: [Chicken-users] define-syntax available *by default*?

From: Tony Garnock-Jones
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] define-syntax available *by default*?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:06:09 +0000

felix winkelmann wrote:
Telling the macro expander what procedure to call for a given macro
invocation. Registration is probably the better word.

OK - in which case I'm getting the strong feeling I'm missing the important point here - but isn't that the same as what define-macros have to do?

That is, (and sorry if this is a dumb or repetitive question) what is the essential difference between

  (define-syntax foo
    (syntax-rules ()
      ((_) 123)))

expanding to something like

  (sc$register (make-toplevel-identifier-somehow-from 'foo)
               (lambda (x) .....))

and

  (define-macro foo
     (lambda (x)
        123))

expanding to something like

  (register-macro! 'foo (lambda (x) 123))

especially given that the lambda in the sc$register case contains only fully-expanded syntax objects?

Tony