Re: [Chicken-users] (CVS commit) Version 1, Build 57

From: Sven . Hartrumpf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] (CVS commit) Version 1, Build 57
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:25:57 +0200 (CEST)

On 05 Jul 2004, address@hidden wrote:
> - Jonah Beckford contributed a partitioning algorithm to the compiler that
> allows splitting a Scheme
>   file into multiple C files - very cool but still experimental
> - csc: handles `-split' properly
> - compiler prefixes identifiers when generating split files

I suppose that Jonah started this work in order to avoid gcc's
"Out of Memory" crashes. As I have solved such problems for my programs,
I will share my experience:

- use gcc 3.4.1 (3.4.0 also o.k; older versions seem to need more memory
  and thus crash; sorry, I don't remember which version was problematic)
- you need "some" time and RAM; output from memtime:
  2250.73s user - Max VSize = 1488KB, Max RSS = 456KB
- don't use -fno-strict-aliasing, instead use -fstrict-aliasing,
  otherwise gcc becomes really large:
  "cc1: out of memory allocating 627429888 bytes
   after a total of 18362528 bytes"
- this even works for a program that csc compiles to 306472 lines of C code

Ciao
Sven