Re: [Chicken-users] Egg for converting character sets with iconv

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Egg for converting character sets with iconv
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:21:26 +0200

Joerg F. Wittenberger wrote:

You mean a separate disjoint datatype? No problem. But how transparent

exactly

should string operations be? Would a separate set of operations
(utf8-string-ref, ... - the actual names are not important right now)
be acceptable?

For me, yes.  Since I could eventually overwrite the operations like
this:

(let ((original string-ref))
 (set! string-ref
   (lambda (s i)
     ((if (utf8-string? s) utf8-string-ref original) s i))))

that is, could I, really?

Yes, you could. But in compiled code you have to tell the compiler
not to inline string operations (for example with
"(declare (not standard-bindings string-ref ...))").

Anyway, a library would be a start. Unfortunately I'm not a unicode
export, so any help would be appreciated.