Re: [Chicken-users] Anaphoric IF

From: Joerg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Anaphoric IF
Date: 24 Nov 2003 14:50:32 +0100

William Annis <address@hidden> writes:

>  >(if* (member x y) (cadr it) ...)
>  >
>  >(if* (assq x y) (cdr it) #f)
>  >
>    <snip>
>  >
>  >Pointless or practical?
>
>         I do this all the time.

Yes, practical.  However:

I'd be even up for discussion, whether even srfi implementations
should be included with the compiler, if the latter doesn't use them
itself (I'd rather distribute kind of a library set, like the eggs
collection, which is there anyway).  I feel that Scheme better not
tries to become CL.  Please don't include it with the base
distribution, make it available as yet another egg.

In any case, I'd rather like a different variant, similar to the
handle-exceptions syntax, where you can name the variable.  (Due my
lazyness, I'd prefer to remember only one, not two more predefined
names.)

(if* it (member x y) (cadr it) ...)

(if* foo (member x y) (cadr foo) ...)

/Jörg

--
The worst of harm may often result from the best of intentions.