[Chicken-users] General questions about Chicken

From: Jan Rychter
Subject: [Chicken-users] General questions about Chicken
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:03:47 -0700

Hi,

I've just come across Chicken, while looking for a good tool for several
projects. I have looked at the documentation and the sources briefly and
I must say I am quite impressed with what I've seen so far!

I have some general questions:

  -- I saw that SWIG support for Chicken seems to be coming. How
     advanced is that?

  -- is there an interface to GTK+ and/or Gnome in the works?

  -- I'm worried about application size and total size including
     libraries. Which of the shared libraries (built on Linux) are
     really required? It seems they overlap: what would be the smallest
     subset that would still include the full functionality as described
     in the manual?

  -- how are threads implemented? Are they done within Chicken (what
     some call 'lightweight'), or can they be OS threads on Linux? In
     particular, I'm worried about threads and blocking I/O: if they all
     block, their utility is greatly reduced.

many thanks,
--J.