Re: [Chicken-users] setup question

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] setup question
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:51:18 +0200

Bruce Butterfield wrote:
I couldn't find this in the archives, sorry if this is a stupid question:

1) Installed chicken-1.0 on a RedHat Linux 7.3 x86 system
2) Tests and examples all work fine
3) Attempted to install 'awk.egg', 'ssax.egg', etc. No go.

Following the instructions in the manual about installing extensions I did the following:

 > downloaded 'awk.egg' from the eggs unlimited site
 > su root ;(chicken is installed in /usr/local/...)
 > csi -setup ;(initializes registry)
 > csi -setup awk ;(supposed to install extension)
extracting files from extension `awk` ...
awk.setup
awk.scm
awk/
awk/support.scm
building extension `awk' ...

At this point I assume that awk should have been either copied to a known location or the current location is referenced within the registry but neither of those seemed to have happened since I can only (require 'awk) successfully when the current directory contains 'awk.scm'. So, what am I doing wrong?

This looks like a problem with the chicken-setup module.
First, I recommend using a local extension directory, i.e.
~/.chicken-registry. That doesn't require being root to install
the extension libraries.

Then I *really* recommend using a newer version of chicken. You
can find a relatively fresh snapshot at

http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/chicken-1.10.tar.gz

It has a few known bugs (see
http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/ChangeLog.txt
for details), but might be enough to get you going. After that
you can do a build from CVS, if you like, to get a more bug-free
version. I will make a new tarball available very soon.

Normally csi -setup should print something along the line
of "installing extension ...", which indicates that the
files are copied at the right location. This doesn't seem to
be the case here.

Also, you might use "(require-for-syntax 'awk)", which will
make the macro available at compile-time and the support
code at runtime. This form is not available in 1.0, another
reason to try a newer version.