chicken-janitors

Re: [Chicken-janitors] #874: Compiling some files may cause infinite opt

From: Chicken Trac
Subject: Re: [Chicken-janitors] #874: Compiling some files may cause infinite optimization loops, eating all available memory
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 11:57:23 -0000

#874: Compiling some files may cause infinite optimization loops, eating all
available memory
-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  mario     |       Owner:  felix
      Type:  defect    |      Status:  assigned
 Component:  compiler  |     Version:  4.7.x
Resolution:            |    Keywords:
-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
Changes (by felix):

  * owner:  => felix
  * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 Multiple contractions of the same function is already incorrect
 ("contraction" means inlining of a function called once). I think the real
 problem are nested contractions. In the last example above, `k46` is
 nested in `k37`. The former gets contracted, then the latter (in the same
 optimization pass). In this case it seems to happens repeatedly. For
 inlining this case (an inlined procedure being the target of additional
 inlining) is taken care of by having the `inline-target` db entry - we
 probably need this (or something similar) for contraction, too.

--
Ticket URL: <http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/874#comment:5>
Chicken Scheme <http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/>