Re: [Chicken-hackers] pkg-config support in chicken-install

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] pkg-config support in chicken-install
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 16:08:01 +0200

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 04:34:06PM +0300, Lassi Kortela wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody up for hashing out a design for built-in pkg-config support in the
> egg infrastructure?

The thing is, pkg-config is quite Linux-centric, even if it's from the
Freedesktop project.  It exists on other platforms (BSD, Mac) too, but
it's usually an optional add-on.  On Windows it's probably not there.

So we certainly can't rely on it being there.

However, not using pkg-config means you end up with a pile of
autoconf-like guessing steps, where you try out some test compilation
with "educated guesses" of what you might conceivably need to pass to
the compiler to make it work.

It might be nice if we can have a set of default things to try on each
platform, which could include calling pkg-config.  Bonus points if it's
configurable by the user.

OTOH, it shouldn't be over-engineered and this kind of thing will quickly
reach for the stars.

Cheers,
Peter