Re: [Chicken-hackers] Egg plan for 5?

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Egg plan for 5?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 20:13:20 +0100

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 09:47:22AM -0800, Dan Leslie wrote:
> Ah, thank-you!
>
> Regarding dropping in a new release-info: wouldn't backwards
> compatibility be preserved for existing releases if one were using git
> tags? Those previous releases ought to continue to exist in the git
> repository. Is the issue that the original release-info will no longer
> be tracked, and if so, I'm a little confused: am I to understand that
> the Chicken 4 repository and Chicken 5 repository are mutually
> exclusive?

Well, it's technically possible to make an egg that will build on either
CHICKEN 4 or CHICKEN 5 by using both a .setup file (CHICKEN 4) and a
.egg file (CHICKEN 5), with some cond-expand magic to paper over the
differences, but I expect that would be too much hassle for most egg
authors.

In any case, an old release of an egg certainly will not work unmodified
on CHICKEN 5, so you'd need to omit those old CHICKEN 4-only releases
from the release-info you're using for CHICKEN 5.

> As it is, it sounds like moving off having releases in `master` and
> towards encouraging egg authors to use major Chicken version specific
> branches to track releases is the way to go, in the very long term.

If I understand you correctly, yes, that would make life easier in the
long run.  But it won't help much today.  And I don't know how long it
will take until CHICKEN 6 will be released (probably many years), so I
don't see a point in preparing for that already.

> If all of my eggs were tracked in major version branches already then this
> new release wouldn't be much of an issue! :D

Indeed.

Cheers,
Peter