Re: [Chicken-hackers] [C5] `extension' components & non-modules

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [C5] `extension' components & non-modules
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 12:30:11 +0200

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 12:19:07PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > > The multi-module case is indeed not covered. There is an note on the
> > > wiki regarding functors that emit 2 import libs (used in some places),
> > > this has to be handled automatically (compile + install <module>.import.so
> > > and <module>_.import.so, if the latter one exists). Another option would
> > > be
> > > to add .egg properties specifying the output modules.
> >
> > If I recall correctly, the s48-modules egg also generates two modules per
> > package declaration: one that's "internal" with a leading underscore and
> > one that's the actual module for public consumption.
>
> Right, that's what I meant.

Note that this is something else than the functor internal modules!

The functor ones are <module>_.import.so, while s48 generates
_<module>.import.so
because it has a different function (it's a base module from which several
derived modules can export subsets, via define-structures).

> > So there's some precedence of having a single source file that exports
> > multiple modules.  I think it's worth supporting.
>
> Ok, how about a new .egg extension property named "(modules NAME1 ...)"?
> Defaulting to one module (the extension name). Keeping the list empty
> ("(modules)") specifies an extension without modules.

Sounds good!

Cheers,
Peter