Re: [Chicken-hackers] force-primordial - dunno what to do

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] force-primordial - dunno what to do
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 12:50:32 +0200

Am 18.05.2016 um 20:36 schrieb Peter Bex:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:36:59PM +0100, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
>> in case nobody finds why we ##sys#force-primordial find a patch attached
>> which simply removes it.
>
> Hello Joerg,
>
> I've finally had some time and tested with your patch and without, and
> found that with the patch, the REPL starts behaving a bit strange.
>
> For example:
>
> $ csi
> #;1> (use srfi-18)
> #;2> (thread-start! (lambda () (let lp () (thread-sleep! 1) (print "hai")
> (lp))))
>
> This will start printing "hai".  When you press ^C, in the current
> implementation, you'll immediately see *** user interrupt *** and get
> a new prompt.  In the version without force-primordial, it will
> sometimes do that, and other times it will just sit there, printing,
> until you press "enter".

On Windows I guess?

This looks as if I read that problem before somehow related to i/o.

Nevertheless it would need fixing.

> So I would say removing force-primordial altogether is not desirable.

If there was any kind of explanation/documentation what the purpose of
this is, than I'd read that up and shut up.

Short of this, I'd rather desire removal for the sake of simplicity itself.

More importantly we appear to have a conflict in the code here.  You
presented a case where the call is apparently required.  I found one
where it is definitely wrong.

Let's turn to the concept.  Looks like it is impossible to fix the
implementation.