Re: [Chicken-hackers] slow polling

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] slow polling
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 09:44:13 +0100

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 09:29:56AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > I've done some tests and I was able to get strange behaviour from the
> > scheduler, see
> > http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=d9e4c5b8f8473fd1114dcec56c9c8a079b252362
> > However, none of these behaved any different under CHICKEN 4.9.0.1
> > or 4.10.0, so it's not strictly speaking a regression that MUST be fixed
> > before 4.11.
>
> Does it have to be fixed in Chicken 4 at all?

Not necessarily, but I figured that since the scheduler hasn't changed
much between the two versions, if we have a fix for 5 it can be applied
to master without too many changes as well.  This goes for several
improvements that have been suggested, like inlining locative-ref,
better reuse of argvectors and so on.

> I think every effort should put into getting Chicken 5 ready.

You're right on one hand, but on the other we also have to remember that
people are still using CHICKEN 4 in production.  For example, the
argvector change was applied to master for that reason.  The debugger
was added to master, and so on.  It will be a while before we will be
able to release CHICKEN 5 even if we do put all our efforts into it.

Besides, right now what needs to happen on CHICKEN 5 is not very clear
to me.  For example, I have no clue what the status is on the new setup
langauge, and the namespace changes are being worked on by Evan and I
don't want to get in his way.  However, I'd be happy to pick up any
boring work that "just needs to be done", as long as it's clear what
needs to happen.  Inspiration is lacking for me right now.

> The current pace is insane and will not be sustainable forever. Let's
> get 4.11 out and then turn to new things.

Yes, I absolutely agree that 4.11 should be released as soon as we can.
I'll consolidate the NEWS file, merge into the prerelease branch and
announce a release candidate before the end of this week.

Cheers,
Peter