Re: [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 13:42:08 +0200 (CEST)

> Nowadays anyone who knows how to use a stop watch (or the modern
> equivalent time(1)) on some code (sometimes the first they write in a
> new language) tends to publish the results as a generalized benchmark.
> People have argued like this for ages, it's the all preserving google
> cache that shows them all in your face at once if you ask for it.

Indeed. Well said.

> comp.lang.lisp/scheme is in ruins for most things. But I would not say
> that the 6-7 (regular) abusive posters there define the "community".

No, but the general consensus appears to me (at least), that
performance has a high emphasis. Implementors themselves take their
part in this nonsense: they post benchmark results (with the usual
caveat, first loudly stating that everything has to be taken with the
usual bucketful of salt, and then regardless of that, go ahead and
generalize (or give enough suggestive indicators to generalize)
blatantly. I've done so myself, and then decided that publishing
benchmark results is lying.

> But I think this is somewhat changeing albeit slowly. This fine
> community and its open attitude is one example but I have found guile
> people and others equally attitude free (with exceptions on all sides of
> course, but most of the active projects strive for a friendly
> atmosphere). After all who wants to spend their free time around abusive
> assholes?

Many want. They feel like part of the croud, once they join in
abusing.  Go to #lisp, if you want a demonstration.

felix