Re: [Chicken-hackers] Merging of import, types and inline information

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Merging of import, types and inline information
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 12:43:30 +0100

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 02:28:27PM +0300, Oleg Kolosov wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I’ve been thinking about an idea to merge module type and inline information
>> into import libraries for a long time, and, before starting to hack, decided
>> to ask for opinions in hope to produce useful discussion.
>>
>> Hooking this into build system is a major hassle, especially during quick
>> development when things are moved around/renamed.

YMMV.  For me (having just 92 modules) this works "sufficiently":

I'm using one additional types database "atypes.db" and the Makefile has
these lines:

.scm.c:
        make atypes.db TARGET_FILE=$@
        $(CSC) -t $< $(CSCFLAGS3) -o $@

atypes.db::
        rm -f $(TARGET_FILE:.c=.types)
        -cat *.types > atypes.db

> However, your idea itself is sound and will produce less of a hassle
> for new users.

Add me to the signatories list.  The workaround was just not bad enough
for me to really worry.  But having the types integrated with the
exports could to better, since it could eventually also be consulted by
the interpreter.