Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 08:58:49 +0200

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 08:49:06PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Fair enough.  Since this is purely a question of implementation, not of
> specification, we could have a config-time option:  if false, strings
> don't have a delimiting NUL (not included in the count) and are copied
> by the FFI; if true, strings do have a delimiting NUL and are not
> copied by the FFI.  In either case it would be necessary for the FFI to
> check for embedded NULs, as it already does.
>
> Is there anyone who can't live with that?

Yes, the implementors.  This adds additional complexity and creates
more difficulty in testing, and it also makes it harder to use CHICKEN
on various platforms when you want to use packages.  Punting on the
issue and leaving it to the user is a cheap cop-out.  I'd rather stick
with the current behaviour; at least it's a choice we can defend.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://www.more-magic.net