Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:14:12 +0900

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:58 AM, r <address@hidden> wrote:

08.10.2014 7:52, Alex Shinn пишет:
On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM, r <address@hidden> wrote:

The main problem is that pure Scheme implementation double memory usage (half of memory reserved for coping GC), a full search index tree contains about 2M nodes (approx 40*2MB).

This should be easy to workaround using the mmap interface in the posix egg.

Not sure i get it, you propose to put Сhicken heap into memory mapped file?

Ah, no, I meant store just the index in mmapped memory so it doesn't take up heap space.
This does mean it gets treated as just a blob of data, and you need to write your own routines to access it.

Some gc's allow moving objects out of the heap or otherwise marking them non-movable, we could consider such an extension for Chicken.

I think this is not so easy as it sound, at least for me :]

This is what the wish list is for :)

Anyway, just some minor comments, not trying to argue for or against Chicken in your next project.
Reports of issues from real-world applications are rare and invaluable to us, thanks!

--
Alex