Re: [Chicken-hackers] Taming the egg versioning wilderness

From: Moritz Heidkamp
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Taming the egg versioning wilderness
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 00:31:14 +0100

Moritz Heidkamp <address@hidden> writes:
> Yeah, that's tricky. I will try to come up with a patch to make the
> version argument of install-extension and install-program optional. This
> should be backwards compatible unless I'm missing something!

OK, having thought about it some more this doesn't work, of course, as
eggs which leave off the version argument would not be compatible with
older Chickens.

I am now thinking that it would probably be better to provide an
extension that can be used in .setup files to read the egg version from
the .release-info file and then pass it on to install-extension and
install-program. Kon, maybe this would make sense as an addition to
setup-helpers?

Moritz