Re: [Chicken-hackers] Minutes of 2012-06-14 IRC meeting

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Minutes of 2012-06-14 IRC meeting
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:00:11 +0200 (CEST)

> Indeed they should.  In the JVM, finalizers originally ran in ordinary
> random threads, but there were so many problems that the design was
> switched to running on a separate thread.  The CLR does the same.  See
> http://www.cs.arizona.edu/projects/sumatra/hallofshame/monitor-finalizer.html
> (which predates the switch) for details.

The problem is that I would like to keep the base system thread-less
(with the exception of the primordial thread, naturally). We don't
need the scheduler until we use srfi-18. One option would be to run
finalizers in a separate thread once we enable threading and just run
them in the primordial thread if threading is not enabled yet.

I'll create a ticket for this.

cheers,
felix