Re: [Chicken-hackers] Bumping version no. / build tag in banner

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Bumping version no. / build tag in banner
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:46:25 -0500

Hi Felix,

On Jul 1, 2011, at 1:22 AM, Felix wrote:

Why are you so concerned about build-times? Do you build chicken a lot?

Often enough, and I assume you do too, when you are hacking.  Maybe not?

Anyway, this patch would not include the git hash stuff; it's mostly to fix the perpetually outdated build tags and branch tags when you are compiling from a git checkout.   However, git hash is where I'm going with this in the end.

Could this be made smart enough to work even if the absence of ".git"?

Yes, just like "identify-branch.sh" works correctly.

I have a patch that does all this already and works with or without git on Unix and Windows.  Actually, it adds the git hash to the banner instead of the version number, but the rest is the same.  I am finishing it up at the moment.

$ git rev-parse head
c00dc77b36dc1eafa513c92fd2e5a0fae1f04925

$ csi -v
CHICKEN
(c)2008-2011 The Chicken Team
(c)2000-2007 Felix L. Winkelmann
Version 4.7.3 (zb/ver) (rev c00dc77)
macosx-unix-gnu-x86-64 [ 64bit manyargs dload ptables ]
compiled 2011-07-01 on aeryn.xorinia.dim (Darwin)

On MingW (no msys):

X:\> csi -v
CHICKEN
(c)2008-2011 The Chicken Team
(c)2000-2007 Felix L. Winkelmann
Version 4.7.3
windows-mingw32-x86 [ manyargs dload ptables ]
compiled Fri 07/01/2011  on artoo (MinGW)