Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 02:19:20 -0400

Felix scripsit:

> I like the idea of tgz-submission (did John suggest it? I can't
> remember, it's already 60 seconds later). How about a central store
> that accepts tgz's and external clients, that keep their own
> infrastructure (and DVCS's), who regularly pull repos from the actual
> contributors and have a simple tool to upload the egg? That way we
> could decouple the DVCS->Egg process from the infrastructure that
> stores and serves the egg.

The bad bit, as I was saying on #chicken, is that making and publishing
tarballs automatically isn't very easy unless you run a server.
For example, if you host on Google Code, there's no way to persuade it
to construct a tarball for the central site to pull.  So either I have
to generate a tarball by hand and upload it somewhere else (my web site,
say), or I have to run my own server, which I'm not set up to do.

--
John Cowan <address@hidden>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Today an interactive brochure website, tomorrow a global content