Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax

From: Magnus Achim Deininger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:47:15 +0200

Ah true, I had forgotten that the original post was about new read syntax for blobs, not read/write syntax.

For the sake of discussion, I'll sum up the typical yEnc Syntax:

=ybegin<text>=yend

<text> is mostly the blob contents verbatim, i.e. without converting it to hex first, except for some special characters.

yEnc wouldn't even conflict with the hex syntax since it requires a prefix/suffix pair, so it might still be worth looking into for the write syntax if there would be one :). It's smaller than base64 as well, which Thomas might like.

Other than that, I'd think the R6RS bytevector syntax suffers from using regular number syntax for each of the bytes in the vector: pretty much all bytes would be written in decimal by default, which i'd think to be confusing when entering a blob. I'd imagine I'd want to enter short memory dumps or fixed protocol data when I'd want to manually enter a blob, hex seems more natural and manageable for that.

Cheerio,
Magnus