[Chicken-hackers] too many core modules?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] too many core modules?
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:57:47 +0200

Hello!

It's probably just me, but if I have to write "(use ports files
data-structures utils extras)" one more
time, I'll go crazy.

I think the splitting up of the extras unit was done haphazardly. It
doesn't really give any
benefit to split up the library fo chicken extensions, since loading
one or two eggs will drag in
most of them anyway. I think it's ok to keep the SRFIs separate.

Therefore I'd like to introduce a new library unit (say
"chicken-stuff" [*]) that for the time
being just loads the other units and provides the necessary imports.
Nothing else
will be changed, with the exception of the manual. We can provide a placeholder
extension for pre 4.1.6 chickens (just like Mario did for the "files" unit).

Is it ok to make this change, or does somebody see a problem with this?

cheers,
felix

[*] a lame name - any suggestions are welcome