Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:37:44 -0400

On 8/16/07, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

> If I understand the documentation (which is, indeed, horrible) correctly,
> the ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND(OUTPUT .. DEPENDS ..) creates _not_ a makefile target
> (targets are symbolic names for high-level targets IIUC) but a FILE which
> can be the DEPENDENCY for any TARGET.  So when you get to INSTALL it, you need
> to refer to the FILE instead of the TARGET.

Correct.  OUTPUT produces a so-called file level dependency.

> (I feel like I am screaming here :P )

Yep.  Having a difference between file and target level dependencies
majorly sucks as far as the initial learning curve goes.  The wart
wouldn't be so bad if the documentation had chapters and so forth.

BTW, anyone who wants better info on CMake can buy the "Mastering
CMake" book, which is reputed to be pretty good.  It's the lack of
high quality free documentation that's woeful.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every