[Chicken-hackers] cmake and pcre

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] cmake and pcre
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:41:03 +0100

Hi, again!

Sorry, you are probably fed up with this already, but I still have problems
with the cmake build in the chicken-pcre branch. I have changed
the CMake files to build two libraries: libchickenpcre (to avoid confusion
with an already installed libpcre) which has "-fPIC" and libchickenpcre-static
(which hasn't). libchicken.so is supposed to include the former, libchicken.a
the latter. So far everything builds ok, but essentially CMake ignores

TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(libuchicken-static libchickenpcre-static
${MORE_STATIC_LIBS})

that is, linking a static intermediate library into a static library
(which ar(1) can't
do, IIRC). So compiling a program with static libraries that uses the
regex unit will
have unresolved PCRE references.

One solution would be to install a chicken-specific pcre library in the system
and add it to the normal link commands. I'm not too eager to do that, since
it is easily forgotten. Perhaps you have another idea?

I have pushed what I have so far to the chicken-pcre branch.

cheers,
felix