Greetings! I'm reporting at the request of Bandali
Adding detail, again at the request of Bandali.
/d/emax64/bin/runemacs.exe -Q --eval '(setq erc-debug-irc-protocol t)(raise-frame)'
1. ERC appears to start, ERC: CLOSED shown in the mode-line, "Connecting
[...]" in the minibuffer.
2. It appears to just sit there
*** ERC terminated: failed with code 10060
[... etc ...]
I found that my ISP, Comcast, has added a service they call "Protected Browsing"
or "Safe Browsing"
or "xFi Advanced Security" depending on whether you are the web portal, the documentation for the web portal, or at their marketing, etc.
Here's a forum thread with details for turning this off:
Looking at the web portal I could see that lots of requests to port 113 were getting blocked (many with alarming log commentary about "China" and "Australia" and other parts foreign. The horror).
Once I completely disabled the Comcast security feature, whatever it's called, ERC connects without difficulty.
I think this may still be a valid bug, however, as I was able to connect to Freenode (used for testing in all cases) from rcirc even while Comcast's anti-productivity software was active. I'm curious how the two different IRC implementations handle/depend on IDENT. I'll dig into this if I can and report with such clues or questions as I find.