[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
bug#23417: 25.1.50; Elisp manual: document gotcha about new objects and
bug#23417: 25.1.50; Elisp manual: document gotcha about new objects and quoting
Sun, 1 May 2016 14:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
In the Elisp manual, we do, in node `Rearrangement', point out the
gotcha that a quoted list sexp does not necessarily return a new list
(new cons) each time it occurs in code.
1. The gotcha is more general than the nconc context where it is
presented. It is not limited to using a quoted constant list as a
non-last arg to nconc.
2. The gotcha is not limited to quoted constant lists. It applies
to #s also.
3. Please consider presenting the gotcha in general terms, somewhere.
And that place can then be cross-referenced from relevant nodes (e.g.
`Quoting' and `Creating Hash').
4. Please correct misleading text, such as this from `Creating Hash',
so as not to give the impression that you get a new object for each
occurrence of a quoted constant.
You can also create a new hash table using the printed
representation for hash tables.
Here is one example of confusion wrt the gotcha for #s:
In GNU Emacs 188.8.131.52 (i686-pc-mingw32)
Repository revision: 6148555ee5a3d0139ae517803718b3e0357933c7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
`configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/snapshot/trunk --enable-checking=yes
--enable-check-lisp-object-type --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-Og
-ggdb3' LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib 'CPPFLAGS=-DGC_MCHECK=1
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- bug#23417: 25.1.50; Elisp manual: document gotcha about new objects and quoting,
Drew Adams <=