To reproduce (this assumes a large project for which log is generated for 5+ seconds):
- 'C-x v d' a project directory;
- hit 'l' to view log of changes;
- visible (top) part of the buffer is filled with the most recent entries, which you are most likely interested in;
- wait till log buffer is filled;
- observe the log buffer point jump to some arbitrary (or at least I have no idea what it is) revision's entry.
This behavior is certainly not wanted for me. Even assuming the entry it jumps to has some special meaning and not chosen randomly, 99% of time I'm interested in the recent changes, not a change 2 years ago.