bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#4725: marked as done (23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?))


From: Emacs bug Tracking System
Subject: bug#4725: marked as done (23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?))
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:55:07 +0000

Your message dated Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:44:18 +0200
with message-id <address@hidden>
and subject line Re: bug#4725: 23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?)
has caused the Emacs bug report #4725,
regarding 23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?)
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact address@hidden
immediately.)


-- 
4725: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4725
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact address@hidden with problems
--- Begin Message --- Subject: 23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?) Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:49:52 -0700
emacs -Q
 
In NEWS it says:
 
 ** The package misearch.el has been added.  It allows Isearch to search
 through multiple buffers.  A variable `multi-isearch-next-buffer-function'
 defines the function to call to get the next buffer to search in the series
 of multiple buffers.  Top-level commands `multi-isearch-buffers',
 `multi-isearch-buffers-regexp', `multi-isearch-files' and
 `multi-isearch-files-regexp' accept a single argument that specifies
 a list of buffers/files to search for a string/regexp.
 
But this is false. The functions `multi-isearch-buffers',
`multi-isearch-buffers-regexp', `multi-isearch-files' and
`multi-isearch-files-regexp', defined in misearch.el, are not defined
as commands.
 
1. Shouldn't they be commands? I.e., this is the first bug.
Or else change the NEWS item.
 
2. I find no explanation of using Isearch with multiple buffers or
files anywhere, including in the Emacs manual. This needs to be
documented somewhere.
 
Logically, this should be explained in a new section of the Isearch
chapter of the Emacs manual. It is even the case that multi-isearch is
handled, in its essentials, in isearch.el (not in misearch.el). So
this is really an integral part of Isearch. It needs to be properly
documented as such. That means at least (1) in the Emacs manual and
(2) in the file Commentary of isearch.el.
 
I would even say that it should be documented how to use the
multi-isearch framework to set up multiple buffers etc. for
searching. It's not obvious (1) that you can do that or (2) how to do
that.  There is no reason not to let Emacs-Lisp programmers know about
this. This is provided out of the box as part of Isearch, and it
should be well documented.
 
 
 
In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'
 




--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: bug#4725: 23.1; doc of misearch-* commands (commands?) Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:44:18 +0200 User-agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/23.1.50 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
>> What is missing now and candidates to be implemented are
>> 8 analogous commands:
>>
>>   multi-isearch-buffers
>>   multi-isearch-buffers-regexp
>>   multi-isearch-buffers-matching
>>   multi-isearch-buffers-regexp-matching
>>   multi-isearch-files
>>   multi-isearch-files-regexp
>>   multi-isearch-files-matching
>>   multi-isearch-files-regexp-matching
>
> I'd suggest having just simple commands that let you enter buffer/file names, 
> as
> I said above.
>
> Anyway, do whatever you want in this regard. I agree that it's good for users 
> to
> be able to both (a) choose files/buffers by name individually, and (b) choose
> them by regexp matching.

I agree 8 commands is too much.  So I left the number of commands unchanged.
Now interactively `multi-isearch-buffers' and `multi-isearch-buffers-regexp'
read buffer names to search, one by one, ended with RET.  With a prefix
argument, they ask for a regexp, and search in buffers whose names match
the specified regexp.  Interactively `multi-isearch-files' and
`multi-isearch-files-regexp' read file names to search, one by one,
ended with RET.  With a prefix argument, they ask for a wildcard, and
search in file buffers whose file names match the specified wildcard.

(PS: Some new reading functions duplicate some code from other existing
functions with subtle differences, and I see no way to use existing
functions as is, so I added comments that point to original code).

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

--- End Message ---

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]