bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#4817: marked as done (unclear value type of select-safe-coding-syste


From: Emacs bug Tracking System
Subject: bug#4817: marked as done (unclear value type of select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:50:08 +0000

Your message dated Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:44:36 -0400
with message-id <address@hidden>
and subject line Re: bug#4817: unclear value type of 
select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p
has caused the Emacs bug report #4817,
regarding unclear value type of select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact address@hidden
immediately.)


-- 
4817: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4817
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact address@hidden with problems
--- Begin Message --- Subject: unclear value type of select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:04:03 +0100 User-agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (X11/20090817)
GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
33.9.4 User-Chosen Coding Systems
Function: select-safe-coding-system from to &optional default-coding-system 
accept-default-p file

Quotation 1:
> The optional argument accept-default-p, if non-nil, should be a
> function to determine whether a coding system selected without user
> interaction is acceptable. select-safe-coding-system calls this
> function with one argument, the base coding system of the selected
> coding system. If accept-default-p returns nil,
> select-safe-coding-system rejects the silently selected coding system,
> and asks the user to select a coding system from a list of possible
> candidates.

Quotation 2:
> If the variable select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p is non-nil,
> its value overrides the value of accept-default-p.


I cannot quite decide which of the following two alternatives is the problem:

=========================================================================
Alternative 1:
The value of select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p can be either nil
or a symbol naming a coding system (e.g., mule-utf-8-unix)

In this case the sentence in quotation 2 might need some rephrasing, such as
"..., its value overrides the value returned by the function that is
the actual argument for accept-default-p"

=========================================================================
Alternative 2:
The value of select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p can be either nil
or a one-argument function that returns either nil or a symbol naming a
coding system.

If this is what quotation 2 means (and I understood it to mean this),
one of the following entries in the init file would seem to make sense:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; ...
 '(select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p
    (function (lambda (coding-system)
      (read-coding-system (format "Coding system [%s]: " coding-system)
                          coding-system))))
)

or

(custom-set-variables
 ;; ...
 '(select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p
    (function (lambda (coding-system) nil)))
)

However, when I cause a situation where this code is evaluated, I get

select-safe-coding-system: Wrong type argument: listp, mule-utf-8-unix
=========================================================================

Norbert Eisinger




--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: bug#4817: unclear value type of select-safe-coding-system-accept-default-p Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:44:36 -0400 User-agent: Gnus (www.gnus.org), GNU Emacs (www.gnu.org/software/emacs/)
Thanks, I tweaked the manual a bit.

--- End Message ---

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]