bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#2956: marked as done (23.0.92; anything.el causes BSOD on vista64 d


From: Emacs bug Tracking System
Subject: bug#2956: marked as done (23.0.92; anything.el causes BSOD on vista64 dual-processor)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 18:40:07 +0000

Your message dated Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:31:26 -0400
with message-id <address@hidden>
and subject line Re: bug#2956: 23.0.92; anything.el causes BSOD on vista64 
dual-processor
has caused the Emacs bug report #2956,
regarding 23.0.92; anything.el causes BSOD on vista64 dual-processor
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact address@hidden
immediately.)


-- 
2956: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=2956
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact address@hidden with problems
--- Begin Message --- Subject: 23.0.92; anything.el causes BSOD on vista64 dual-processor Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:09:19 -0700
Running "M-x anything" with anything.el, then pressing tab and enter
causes Vista 64 to BSOD with a "Second processor failed to respond to
clock interrupt in time" error. I am running on a dual quad-core system.
 
I have hit this problem in ERC as well, so I know it is not related
entirely to anything.el. It is simply easier to reproduce consistently
on anything.el. This problem does not occur with 22.3.
 
(As a software developer myself, I understand how ridiculously esoteric
this bug is and that the OS shouldn't panic from a user-land process. I
understand if this doesn't get fixed. I thought I'd report it anyway.
If I can help provide more information (maybe there is some triage of
version 23 features I could do, given the option names), feel free to
ask (address@hidden).)
 

In GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001)
 of 2009-03-30 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.0.6001
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'
 
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t
 
Major mode: Lisp Interaction
 
Minor modes in effect:
  yas/minor-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
 
Recent input:
M-x g C-g M-x e m a c s - <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e p o r t - e
m <tab> <return>
 
Recent messages:
Building completion list of all manual topics...
Loading c:/Users/Erik Charlebois/.emacs.d/kuler-colors.el (source)...done
Loading c:/Users/Erik Charlebois/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0pre6/common/cedet.el (source)...
Outdated speedbar 1.0 shadowed to meet minimum version 1.0.2
Setting up CEDET packages...
Loading `dframe': old-style backquotes detected!
Setting up CEDET packages...done
Loading c:/Users/Erik Charlebois/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0pre6/common/cedet.el (source)...done
No desktop file.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit

--
Erik Charlebois

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: bug#2956: 23.0.92; anything.el causes BSOD on vista64 dual-processor Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:31:26 -0400 User-agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/23.0.92 (gnu/linux)
>> > The fact (if it is a fact) that a problem manifests itself only on
>> > Vista does not necessarily mean there's no bug in Emacs, especially
>> > since the variety of different systems on which Emacs is routinely
>> > tested is so small.  Some positive evidence is required to deduce that
>> > the bug is in the underlying OS.  Do you have such an evidence?
>> An unprivileged process able to crash the OS is always a bug in the OS.
> Please re-read what I wrote: I also said that this doesn't necessarily
> mean there's no bug in Emacs.

We know for a fact that there are many bugs in Emacs, so there's no risk
of me thinking that "there's no bug in Emacs" ;-)

> We don't care about Vista bugs here, but I think we do care about Emacs.

Indeed.  But he described a bug in Vista, which happens to appear to be
triggered by something in Emacs.  Since we don't know what is that thing
in Emacs that triggers the bug, we can't even decide if it's itself
a bug or not.  We have plenty of real confirmed bugs not to worry about
this one until Vista gets fixed.  And I already mentioned a good "fix".


        Stefan


--- End Message ---

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]