bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] seek and volume

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] seek and volume
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:14:00 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> I'm seeking continuously by holding down f or <right>.
> Progress moves along, but sometimes it jumps back.
> That is, the visual feedback from the progress bar (or
> indicator bar) jerks back one (?) step. This is while
> seeking forwards. Backwards seeking does not have the
> visual problem, but I think the "jerk" is still there.

Okay, I see what you mean.  I actually see that kind of
jerking when I seek backwards by holding down `b', too.

I don't think this is a serious problem when compared to the
old behavior.  However, it would be desirable to have it fixed.

(Myself, I never seek by holding down keys.)

What if we somehow queued consecutive seek commands and only
issued them, say, once per second?  We would want a single
seek command to have immediate effect, but a ``continuous''
one (where the user holds the key down) to seek in batches.

Unfortunately for this purpose, I don't believe there is a
way to detect when a key is released in Emacs.  So it seems
to me that we can't know when the user is done seeking.

Any ideas?

If we can't make key-repeat-seeking work intelligently,
would you like to bring the old behavior back?  I don't
think I would, so maybe we could make it customiziable.

> The mpg321 program segfaults when I seek backwards by
> holding down a key. It usually crashes after a little
> while, not immediately. I'm using mpg321 version 0.2.10,
> by the way.

Hmm, I still can't reproduce this.  I have the same version.
Can you give an example of an MP3 file for which it happens?

By the way, I think my keys repeat 40 times per second.
This is what `xset q | grep "repeat rate"' gives:

  auto repeat delay:  200    repeat rate:  50

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>